Lhasa to Kathmandu via Everest
14 days | Guided | From £2,309
This is a truly inspiring overland journey across Tibet from Lhasa to Everest Base Camp and the Rongbuk Monastery, then down, down, down into Nepal and to Kathmandu. Every moment of the way the scenery takes your breath away, from the wild and barren plateau of Tibet, across high passes with incredible views of the Himalayan chain, to the majestic sight of Everest, and then all of a sudden the lush, green landscapes of Nepal.
14 days | Guided | From £2,309
Journey across 'the roof of the world' in Tibet and Nepal
- See the North Face of Everest at Rongbuk
- Discover one of the world's great journeys
- Cross the Tibetan Plateau
- Visit Lhasa and the Potala Palace
- Explore Gyantse and Shigatse
- Experience the incredible descent from Tibet into Nepal
This is a truly inspiring overland journey across Tibet from Lhasa to Everest Base Camp and the Rongbuk Monastery, then down, down, down into Nepal and to Kathmandu. Every moment of the way the scenery takes your breath away, from the wild and barren plateau of Tibet, across high passes with incredible views of the Himalayan chain, to the majestic sight of Everest, and then all of a sudden the lush, green landscapes of Nepal. With incredible sights of man-made origin too including the Potala Palace, Monasteries and ancient Fortresses this adventure trip is the stuff of dreams.
After a tour of the colourful Kathmandu, our journey begins, with a mind-blowing flight right over Everest to Lhasa, where if the sight of Everest didn't take your breath away, the rarefied atmosphere of Lhasa probably will. We spend several days in Lhasa acclimatising, which is just as well as it gives us more than a good excuse to visit all the major sights in and around Lhasa. We visit the Potala Palace, Jorkhang Temple, Drepung and Sera Monasteries as well as the Norbulingka Summer Palace. Before leaving Lhasa we head out of town to explore the Ganden and Drak Yerpa region too.
Now we head out on our epic overland journey across the wild Tibetan plateau. Reaching Gyanste we take a stop to explore before continuing to Shigatse. After exploring Shigatse our next overnight halt is Sakya. We then take a detour and head for Rongbuk and Everest Base Camp. Yes, that great big rocky thing covered with snow towering above you uninterrupted is the formidable north face of Everest. How many times you say 'Wow' should be recorded for posterity, as well as how many photos you take too. Clearly this magnificent spectacle is just too fantastic to pay a fleeting homage to, so we spend two nights up here and take a few walks to enjoy it even more. You don't have to walk if you don't want to, by all means sit and stare in awe and wonder, but if it wasn't for the altitude the walking would actually be rather easy.
Leaving Everest we make an overnight halt at Old Tingri before crossing into Nepal and following what is reputed to be the longest road descent in the world. Just look at how green it all quickly becomes and how much warmer it suddenly feels. Returning to Kathmandu our journey of a lifetime across Tibet and the Himalayas is complete.
- Day 1 Depart UK
- Depart UK on an overnight flight.
- Day 2 Arrive Kathmandu
- Arrive Kathmandu. Rendezvous at the group hotel for 1930hrs pre-trip meeting
- Day 3 Kathmandu
- Enjoy a leisurely morning and perhaps relax in our hotels peaceful gardens, or take a dip in the inviting pool. In the afternoon we have a guided tour of the sights of bustling Kathmandu.
- Day 4 Fly to Lhasa
- A truly spectacular morning flight over Everest and views of the Himalaya extending as far as Kangchenjunga and Manaslu to Tibet. We then transfer on arrival in Tibet to Lhasa and begin take it easy to get used to the high altitude.
- Day 5 Lhasa - Potala and Jorkhang
- We continue to acclimatise and take it easy with sightseeing in Lhasa visiting the iconic Potala Palace and meet the Tibetan faithful at the Jorkhang Temple.
- Day 6 - Drepung and Norbulingka
- More gentle sightseeing to furhter aid our acclimatisation. Today we head a bit out of Lhasa to visit both the Drepung and Sera Monasteries as well as the Dalai Lamas former traditional summer residence, the Norbulingka Palace.
- Day 7 Lhasa - Ganden and Drak Yerpa
- More necessary acclimatisation. However we head further out of Lhasa and see more of Tibets spectacular mountainscapes as we head for the Drak Yerpa Valley and the strategically located Ganden Monastery.
- Day 8 Overland to Gyantse
- Our overland odyssey across the Tibetan Plateau begins in earnest as we leave Lhasa and head to Gyantse. Crossing high passes such as the Khamba La and passing impossibly turquoise lakes we stop to explore Gyantse and the Poalkor Monastery.
- Day 9 Overland to Shigatse
- Drive to Shigatse and visit the Tashilunpo Monastery.
- Day 10 Drive to Sakya
- This morning we have a relatively short drive and detour from the Friendship Highway bringing us to Sakya. Here we can explore a local Tibetan village and the two monasateries located eitherside of the Trum-chu River.
- Day 11 Rongphu and Everest Base Camp
- A truly spectacular drive, with mind-blowing views of the Himalayas and our first sight of Everest from the Tibetan side from the Gyamtso La. From the Pang La the Himalayan views are even better as we then head up to the Rongbuk Monastery area and here see the classic "Everest from Tibet" breath-taking vista.Today we plan to walk in the Everest Base Camp area all the while gazing at the mighty peak soaring above us (approximately 3hr trek).
- Day 12 To Old Tingri/Nyalam
- We can take a dawn walk to see Everest once more and then head for Old Tingri or Nyalam over lofty passes affording more outlandish views. As we begin to drive down the world's biggest road descent (we ultimately go from 5220m to just 590m) the climate changes noticably.
- Day 13 Kathmandu
- We continue to descend to the lowest point at Dolaghat and continue back to Kathmandu.
- Day 14 Depart Kathmandu, Arrive UK
- Depart Kathmandu and arrive back in the UK. Dependent upon your chosen airline some flights may arrive back in the UK the following day.
- 'At a Glance' trip features : Overland travel, history, culture, sightseeing, some walking
- Trip Code: ATLK
- Physical Grade: A/B - Easy/ Moderate - Maximum altitude 5600m
- Adventure Grade: C
- Group Size (Min - Max) : 4 - 12
- Accommodation : Hotel 8nts, Guest Houses 4nts
- Meals : All breakfasts included
- Overseas joining and Departure point : Join and depart in Kathmandu